Saturday 26 March 2011

Duck and Cover

Duck and Cover (2011). Mixed media.




Duck and Cover (2011) with fluorescent torch on.
 I started using the idea of nuclear war as more of a metaphor. I'm fascinated by Cold War bunkers - the idea that inside them, you're theoretically protected, but you're also trapped. For me, that was a strong metaphor for a personal experience (which I won't go into) and the ensuing aftermath. These are like my emergency supplies from that time - a makeshift lantern and a mini fallout shelter. One day I might type up my digressions on soup cans from my notebook. Oh and, for anyone who's interested, the rusting was produced using hydrogen cream peroxide (the stuff you mix with hair bleach) and table salt. It only takes about an hour or so.

Also, here's a really cool video about Project Greek Island - the congress bunker discovered under Virginia's Greenbrier Hotel in the early 90s. I was particularly interested and inspired by this one, as you'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment